This is going to be fun!
May is Better Hearing and Speech Month (BHSM)! This is the perfect time for speech-language pathologists to increase awareness about our profession and scope of practice. Sure, we could make a powerpoint and present it at the next faculty meeting but we are more creative than that! Instead of just providing information, what if we make them ask questions? What if we leave them curious about our profession and eager to learn more about it? That leads me my list of 5 silly ways school-based SLPs can increase awareness during BHSM.
- Thicken the coffee in the break room
- Write your messages and emails in IPA
- Ask colleagues whether they produce retroflexed or bunched /r/
- Change your Facebook profile picture to a picture of vocal folds
- Bake cookies and leave them in the teacher lounge… along with instructions on how to swallow them safely (chin tuck!)
When your coworkers ask you about these crazy things you’ve done, that is your opportunity to teach them about what you do! Engage in a discussion about the importance of our job and the variety of areas we are trained in. Because let’s face it – nobody wants to stay after school and read a powerpoint.
Disclaimer: Don’t worry work-friends, I won’t actually mess with the coffee.😉
If you get any fun photos, be sure to tag me on Instagram! @ThePeachieSpeechie
Thanks for reading the Peachie Speechie blog! Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter at the bottom of the page so we can keep in touch. 💌